Blue Distinction Centers for Bariatric Surgery (weight-loss surgery) are recognized
for demonstrating their superior capabilities in providing a full range of bariatric
care services, including inpatient care, post-operative care, outpatient follow-up
care and patient education, resulting in better overall outcomes for bariatric patients.
The designation is based on stringent quality criteria.
Medical centers designated Blue Distinction Centers for Bariatric Surgery
The process and criteria for selection
- Baptist Health Medical Center in Little Rock
The designation is based on stringent clinical criteria, developed in collaboration
with expert physician panels and national medical societies, including the American
Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and Surgical Review Corporation
(SRC). Among many other items, each facility must offer:
- An acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care and emergency room services.
- An established bariatric program, actively performing these procedures for the most
recent 12-month period and performing a required minimum volume of 125 such surgeries
- Sustained excess weight loss (EWL) of greater than 50 percent at two years post-surgery
for at least 90 percent of patients.
- Adequate experience and credentialing of its bariatric surgery team.
- Acceptably low overall complication and mortality rates.
- Documented patient care and follow-up care procedures from admission through discharge,
including long-term follow-up post-surgery.
- Full accreditation by The Joint Commission or Healthcare Facilities Accreditation
- A comprehensive quality management program that specifically incorporates bariatric