Blue Distinction Centers for Transplants are recognized for demonstrating their
commitment to quality care and capabilities in providing a range of services for
nine transplant types resulting in better overall outcomes for transplant patients.
- Lung (deceased and living donor)
- Combination heart bilateral lung
- Liver (deceased and living donor)
- Simultaneous pancreas kidney (SPK)
- Pancreas (PAK/PTA)
- Combination liver kidney
- Kidney-only in conjunction with SPK/PAK
- Bone marrow/stem cell (autologous and allogeneic)
Medical centers designated Blue Distinction Centers for Transplants
The process and criteria for selection
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital in Little Rock
The designation is based on criteria established by expert physician panels and
national medical organizations and include:
- Program must have been actively performing transplant of specific type for the most
recent 24-month period.
- Volume requirement vary by transplant type.
- Patient and graft survival requirements vary by transplant type.
- A variety of measures are evaluated which vary by transplant type, including surgical
morbidities, re-transplant rates, death on the waitlist, etc.
- A stable team which must include a primary physician and primary surgeon (if applicable)
and at minimum, one additional physician and surgeon. A broad range of subspecialties
must be immediately available to the program.
- The institution must be a full-service, accredited inpatient hospital facility or
- Personnel and/or systems to collect, analyze, and maintain program data.
- A variety of criteria that address pre-transplant evaluation, transplant procedure,
and recovery phase.
- Includes written discharge and follow-up plans, including coordination with primary
- Written plans for patient education including pathways and response to teaching.
- Regularly scheduled multi-disciplinary meetings are held.
- Detailing all aspects of care, and incorporated into formal development and review
- A comprehensive quality management program exists that specifically incorporates
- Transplant program should have a written process and data management systems for
routinely measuring patient satisfaction for both inpatient and outpatient services.
- Agreement on negotiated reimbursement contract.