Update your plan to reflect changes in your life.

Gold, Silver, Bronze Plans

Everyone is eligible to enroll in, or make changes to, a health plan during the annual Open Enrollment Period (OEP). The next OEP for individual and family medical plans, including Gold, Silver, Bronze and Catastrophic plans, is November 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017.

People may be eligible to enroll in, or make changes to, a plan outside of the standard open enrollment period if they experience a life event that qualifies for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

SEPs are special windows of time that occur around qualifying life events that allow people to enroll in or update a plan. The SEP window for most events is between 45 days prior to the qualifying life event and 60 days after.

The Smiths had a baby on April 15. Since 'birth" is a qualifying life event, the Smiths’ special enrollment period began on April 15 and ends on June 14. They can update their policy during this time to reflect their growing family.

How to update your plan within an SEP or during OEP

Plans purchased directly from Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
If you need to make any of the changes below, you can contact customer service by calling 1-800-800-4298 or by completing a Metallic Change Form [pdf, 863 KB].

  • Name change (requires documentation)
  • Address update
  • Contact information
  • Billing information
  • Policyholder of the account

Plans purchased on the Marketplace (
Report changes directly on the Marketplace ( by using the member account’s Report a Life Change button.

How to apply within an SEP

Plans purchased directly from Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
If you would like to select a different plan, you may shop now or wait until OEP begins on November 1, 2016.

If you need to add or remove a person or create a separate policy with identical coverage for one or more covered person(s) complete a Metallic Change Form [pdf, 863 KB].

Plans purchased on the Marketplace (
Simply go to the Marketplace ( and start the process to see if you can get coverage.

These updates can be made any time during the year as a result of any of the qualifying life events in the table below. Certain changes may require documentation, and you will need to submit this information within 75 days of the event.

Qualifying Life Events Documentation Required
Birth None
Adoption Adoption documentation
New guardianship/legal custody/court order to add child Guardianship/court order documentation
Marriage Marriage certificate
Divorce or legal separation Divorce decree/legal documentation of separation
Death Death certificate
Loss of eligibility for Advance Premium Tax Credit/Cost-Sharing Reduction (APTC/CSR) Proof provided by Health and Human Services (HHS)
Involuntary loss of medical coverage Certificate of creditable coverage (COCC) or proof provided by HHS. If you are unable to obtain this form, please contact us and we can help you with the documentation needed.
Dependent turns 26 and ages off current policy None – Arkansas Blue Cross will automatically establish a new contract January 1 for dependents who lose dependent status (same product and benefits, if available).
Obtained other coverage Proof of new coverage
New coverage becomes available as a result of a permanent move A copy of a residential utility bill, rent receipt or mortgage statement with the applicant's name on the document and a COCC or proof provided by HHS to verify Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) for one to sixty days prior to the Qualifying Life Event (QLE). If you are unable to obtain this form, please contact us and we can help you with the documentation needed.
Citizenship status changes Entry VISA number, I-551 alien number, I-94 card number, INS notice receipt number, passport number, permanent resident card with photograph (form I-151), or U.S. military card or draft record
Indian has tribal nation status Initial enrollment requires tribe membership statement or documentation from governmental agency; may only enroll in or change plans once per month
Release from incarceration Released paper from government authority; notarized document declaring non-incarceration status
Health plan contract violation Proof provided by HHS
Errors, misinterpretations, or inaction by the Marketplace, HHS, or their agents Proof provided by HHS
Abuse or Spousal Abandonment, including unmarried and dependent victims No documentation required
Non-calendar year policy expires outside of OEP COCC or proof provided by HHS